Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mt Diablo Ride

I got up early Sunday morning and decided it was time to get back to riding after my letting my shoulder heal after my goof ball attempt to be a cyclo-crosser/mountain biker on my flatbar road bike on my commute to work. Siclista group put the call out for a Mt. Diablo ride. I figured this would be a good time to try out my legs and play around with my Garmin 305 GPS unit.

At around 8:30, Siclistas and guests started arriving at the Safeway parking lot in San Ramon. Our roll out time was supposed to be at 9:00 AM but we ran into some issues with the Safeway parking lot that we had to move a few stalls down so we wouldn't get towed. But by 9:20 AM we were rolling as a group 20+ riders.

The ride was of a moderate pace. This allowed me to be a roving photographer where I could ride up and down along the group taking pictures and meeting new people on the ride. Everyone that had done Mt. Diablo talked about the last 200 or so yards to the peak of the climb. I had my GPS set to display the grade in real time to get an idea of how steep it was. As I approached the gate to the last part of the climb I could feel the resistance increasing on the pedals. As I looked down at my GPS unit, the grade reported 16%....18%.....22%! That was unbelievable!

After getting to the peak, we waited for the rest of the group to make it up. While waiting, I was in shock to see a uni-cyclist make his way up the climb to the peak. The rider, Tom, was using a 29 inch unicycle. We talked a bit and he told me that there were 8 of them coming up on unicycles. Some of the unicycles had bigger wheels, which I think he told me they were something like 36 inches.

After the short rest, we all headed back down as a group back to the start. It was nice to meet new people on the ride.

Total Miles: 38.3 mi
Average Pace: 5:16 /mi
Average Speed: 11.4 mph
Total Ascent: 4431 ft.
Total Descent: 4390 ft.


I put the pictures here Siclista Mt. Diablo Ride at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail: GPS, Photos & Geotagging!

Here are the elevation and grade charts derived from the Garmin 305 GPS unit.



5 comments:

BobbyG said...

To download a pic from Everytrail:

1) Click on pic.
2) At the bottom of pic, click on view original. This will take you to Flickr.com
3) You can download the full image from there.

Manny D (www.stophhs.com) said...

Bobby-nice write up and pics on the diablo ride, thanks - interesting that u're still in the healing process and still manage to blow me away at the climb and "fast" ride back to the safeway parking. nice printout from your garmin, what an all-around cmptr..

johnV said...

Bobby,thanks for the pictures they were awesome.

MadoneLemon said...

Bob, thanks for being a rover and a damb good at it. Good pictures.

Jack Ibagbaga (also known as) Batillog said...

I said, okay, they had fun after seeing pics from Benie's camera. And then BobbyG posted something that really made me drool :)
That's why I posted the "cruel" word up there :)

great ride report BobbyG, and nice pics to boot. ditto on that for Niel.